Thursday, May 6, 2010

11-1-1

1) Congratulations to Vice Chair Romanesko, my frustration has nothing to do with him.
2) As of right now, I am affiliated with MPower. Theoretically we campaigned together (although my name was left off of all the literature). I chalked Bascom for them, I spoke up for their candidates, and I generally agree with their platform.

Today I ran for Vice Chair of the SSFC. As an outsider I obviously needed as much time as possible to explain who I was and where I was coming from as well as some people speaking to my merits.

Most of my involvement with ASM has been through Student Judiciary suits (mainly the Campus Women's Center appeal process). Ironically, the closest I got to endorsements were from them.

No one in open forum even mentioned me by name. No one in open forum even alluded to me. Tina Trevino-Murphy, the person I worked most closely with during the Campus Women's Center's appeal never mentioned me or my role in the appeal. There may have been strategic reasons for this decision on her part, but for my main contact with regard to ASM experience to not mention my name? That comes off pretty bad. In fact, that's damningly bad.

Of course, having one of the main members of MPower, vice-chair of WISPIRG Evan Hurley (probably spelled that wrong) publicly endorse the guy I as running against didn't help either.

Kyle also didn't speak up for me.

While actually running I was asked one question. There was no debate. I was literally the only person to vote for me.

This entire thing was a farce that made me look like shit.

Of course, I'm still kinda bitter over the lack of support I got for rules chair.

The irony of all of this is that I have received MUCH more outreach from the 'other' 'side,' Chair Manes incorporated a lot of my ideas into his 4 plank plan for SSFC, and he seems to understand both his own and SSFC's current shortcomings. For someone who is supposed to be distant and unavailable, he sure seems to be paying a lot of attention to what others think.

So, thanks mpower. I'm still friends with a bunch of you, but this shit is getting a little bit ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment